Saturday 23 May 2009

The Hague, Holland...

...is an elegant and quiet city where Art-Nouveau has put its stamp on architecture. The central area around the Houses of Parliament is composed of small streets and little squares, full of small shops, winebars, old-established wine-shops, typical Dutch old-fashioned café's, art galleries and antique-shops, all located in small buildings with huge sun-reflecting windows. An area where one can still breathe the atmosphere of a past of only horses and carriages trotting along the stately avenue of het Lange Voorhout with its magnificent historical mansion-houses.
Today, long strolls on foot or by bike in this area, and the quiet walks through the beautiful parks around the centre and along the endless sea-shore (off-season only!), sometimes make me feel nostalgic about the times when I grew up there.
Denneweg in The Hague, Holland

12 comments:

Dina said...

It's a good sign if you feel that nostalgia and remember the good things.

Virginia said...

Nostalgic photograph as well. I am looking forward to touring this beautiful city with you Diederick. BTW, we fly off to Paris this afternoon. I will visit again when we are "connected" to the world once more from our apartment!
V

Cezar and Léia said...

Hello there!
This b & w picture is outstanding!
Many thanks for all great informations about this place!
Léia

brattcat said...

This is beautiful. So effective in B&W. Great capture.

D said...

Lovely picture and post, a mini trip to former days.

Marcel said...

Hi, are you Dutch or half Dutch? I remember you made a comment half in Dutch, something...

Regards from Marcel

Diederick Wijmans said...

Thank you, Dina!!

Have a good and fruitful journey, Virginia!!

Thank you, Cezar and Léia!!

Thank you too, Bradcatt!!

Thank you, D!!

Diederick Wijmans said...

I am Dutch, MaCoBra but live in Italy since 1970. I know your area quite well, as I spent part of my weekend-youth in Nieuwkoop!!

Kris McCracken said...

Lovely shot, and I might add that not enough places begin with a "The".

Kcalpesh said...

Good Memories 4 u! This is a good b&w photo!

Shanna said...

I am nostalgic ...for something that I've never known. Life in Los Angeles can feel so very harsh. Thank you for the insight into a place that is so very different.

Virginia: I have spent some time in Paris and I must add that maybe for the first time in my life, I felt at home. Have a lovely time!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an interesting Blog and for sharing some fab photos. I've enjoyed your take on the Hague and will certainly be back for more!